1.22.2009

True Love

I wrote the other night that it is vital for me to love myself in order to be the best mom and best person I can be. Here is some further reflection on that by the auther, Carl Anderson, in his book, "A Civilization of Love: What Every Catholic Can Do to Transform the World". He is quoting a Russian philosopher, Vladimir Slolovyov.
"Each of us, as a child of God, does have absolute significance and worth. The problem...is not that we overvalue ourselves but that we undervalue everyone else. [L]ove is the answer to this problem. Love does not ask us to despise ourselves, but rather to go past the narrow boundaries of the self and to recognize, not only intellectually but in our hearts, the absolute value and worth of every person."

It is not just about me loving myself so I feel good, but believing that I, and everyone else (including my children and husband), have "absolute significance and worth".

I'd love to hear from you, so please feel free to comment on this or other posts. Thanks to you who have.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!