1.26.2009

Where was God today?

Where was God...
when I couldn't sleep until 3 AM this morning because I drank a cup of coffee too late in the previous afternoon?

In this morning's conversation with a friend at my dining room table

Where was God...
when my 6 year old would not eat the kiwi I had so carefully peeled and cut for her and then she threw it all in the garbage?

In sun that made me squint while driving into town

Where was God...
when I felt dissapointed and unloved, then ate a bunch of peanut M & Ms and spoke harshly to my girls?

In the phone call and the comment on my blog from friends who reminded me that I am not unloved

Where was God...
when dinner was rushed and my girls wouldn't stop watching TV to eat at the table without an argument?

In the happy conversation around that table after we all finally sat down

Where was God...
when I tried to take a short nap, asked nicely not to be disturbed, only to be disturbed any way because [insert whiny voice]"i really want my My Little Ponies out in the garage...will you get them for me now mommy?"

In the kisses and hugs good night after she was all snuggled in bed

Where was God...
when a war started, when a loved one died, when a child's innocence was lost, when things went wrong?

In the small, silent and unassuming things that happen and can easily go unnoticed if we are not looking

3 comments:

  1. Heather MannJanuary 26, 2009

    Holly, I loved your last post today. It has tied in so many of the themes that you and I have discussed lately and I see amazing meaning in what you have written. I'm really enjoying your blog and turn in daily to see what new gems you have added. I'm almost embarrased to admit it, but I've never actually read a blog before I started reading yours... I know I've got to get "out" more often. Anyway, please keep writing, I for one am hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, very nicely done! If you don't get a lot of comments at first, know that people are reading anyway. I have lots of daily readers who NEVER comment. But then I check my sitemeter, and I see people do look after all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this reflection in that you are showing the ebb and flow of emotions in everyday family life. God's there in those frustrating, difficult moments too, it's just hard to see it. It reminds me of a calendar quote that was supposedly written on a prison wall: "I believe in the sun when it's not shining, I believe in love even when I feel it not, I believe in God even when he is silent."

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!