1.29.2009

Yes I Can!

I know a lot of people are on the Obama bandwagon. Well, I’m not one of them. I have a pit in my stomach about him. Maybe it was the election hype about who he “pals” around with. What if he is a radical wanting to take over the government and maybe the whole world? Then I hear the terrible things about Bush and question his motives. All these lies, truths, and partial truths float around in my head and I find myself repeating a phrase from the movie Beverly Hills Ninja by Chris Farley (may his soul rest in peace):
I cannot tell the truth from the untruth.
As I was praying this morning the words, I don’t want you to have any anxiety, from this Sunday’s readings, jumped out at me. Listening and watching the news has been making me very anxious, and I've been totally overwhelmbed by it. Here I am trying to do the right thing. Trying to teach my children the right and good way to live and how is goodness even going to survive at all? What can I do about it anyway?
I can turn off the news!
So good bye to the TV and radio. At least I’m not going to follow it so closely that it makes me anxious anyway. Tomorrow I’m going to think of better ways to spend my time. Then, when elections come around, I’ll begin paying attention again so I can make a well informed vote because that’s what I can do.

1 comment:

  1. I am so there with you. We don't have cable at all, and even the internet bothers me a bit. I read a book on Catholic Prophecy recently that would really freak out some people, but what it told ME was, "Oh, it's not even close to that bad yet." Which means we have a long way to go. It will get interesting though, and I don't think it's Obama. I think he's a symptom. I sure don't like him either, but I still think he's a pretty normal person who lived in Chicago, which is not a place where a person can stay normal and be a politician. I think someday we'll know the whole story and it will be a heck of a story. I'm just keeping track of my Little House on the Prairie skills, like canning and gardening and connecting with people, because that's what I can do. And it's fun! I figure all of my friends have skills we can share. One is exceptional at coupons. Several can sew. One can make wine and most of the others can make beer. We all know how to live frugally. So I figure we're a million miles ahead of the people addicted to massive amounts of cable tv and prozac (Soma!). Not to put down the wonders of Prozac, but again, a symptom. What are we missing? Oh... I know. Life as God intended it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!