2.03.2009

An Almost Perfect Day

Today has been an almost perfect day. It started with prayer and reflection and two cups of wonderfully dark coffee. My fridge is full of healthy food, so I have eaten good things and the sun has been shining so the birds have been singing to me all day. I even had a friend over and she and her son were with us for most of the morning. We took a walk to the park and pet a cute little puppy on the way. It has all been very pleasant and invigorating.

It was not too long ago that I admitted to myself and on this blog (20 Random Things) that I don’t love being a stay-at-home-mom. Ever since then, I have actually been happier in my vocation. I must have given up trying to love it and trying to be the stay-at-home mom I thought I should be. Now I try to be me, at my best, while raising my girls. It seems to be a much better way for me to live. So what if I’m not the best cook, a super creative decorator, or even a morning person? I am Holly and I have children. I like to write, to visit with friends, to be outside slowly enjoying nature, to watch American Idol, to reflect on life and God, and to dream. If I can get all those things in a day or so, I am a happy mom. And all the other things that moms have to do, peacefully and happily fall into place.

2 comments:

  1. I've just been catching up on the last few posts, and am happy to hear about your happy days. As I'm returning to being a full-time stay-at-home mom in a few weeks, it's nice to be reminded that it doesn't have to be done perfectly. I get caught in that trap quite easily - many of my frustrations as a parent come when my son interferes with me getting things cleaned up. Now, how ridiculous is that? The beautiful moments come when I can slow down and feed his curiosity or let him "help" with the dishes or laundry. This morning it was adorable when I let him brush makeup on my face like he sees me do everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true. As a parent I think we eventually learn that if we slow down and live in the moment with our children, life suddenly becomes much more tollerable. It is a hard lesson. As they say, with children the days are long but the years are short.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!