2.25.2009

Ashes to Ashes

Today, because it was Ash Wednesday, I fasted and abstained from meat like a good Catholic. I ate two small meals and one regular sized meal for dinner (it was Thai take-out...not sure if that's the most "holy" kind of Ash Wednesday meal). Everytime I wanted to eat or felt hungry, I tried to be mindful of Christ and what his suffering and death means to me and to our world. Then I went to Mass where I got those ashes on my head and was reminded that I will die one day. "From dust you've come and to dust you shall return."

Now I'm back home and it's 9:45 PM and I'm hungry. When I'm hungry, I'm kind of a nasty mommy. Thankfully, the kids went to bed okay, but not before some fire came out of my mouth. (I was trying to watch American Idol and they were jumping around and screaming. You can probably understand why I would breathe fire.) Thankfully, we only had one hot moment and now I'm left wondering, how can it be good to not eat? I'm halfway joking when I ask because I know there are many good reasons that the Church has given to us. However, I would like reflect a little more on the reasons why, especially in my own life. It will have to be tomorrow, after I eat a large breakfast. I wonder if we have any bacon or sausage?

1 comment:

  1. Yardley MommaFebruary 27, 2009

    Hello Holly! I hear you so clearly (about being hungry) and for me it was the 2nd year we have had P/T Conferences so none of the teachers who are Catholic were able to attend mass because we go early and stay late. Layer on top fasting and the day's hours of 7:30-8:30, it can make cranky educators for conferences! It made me think of how patient Jesus had to be and how when working with everyone's needs, he kept a loving, caring spirit. When I got home I was desperate for food and went to bed so I could awake to the next day to replenish the hunger in my tummy. I feel like such a wimp when I could barely handle one day and he suffered so much.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!