2.07.2009

Me (and my sage green van)...

I drove to the valley today to pick up a friend at the airport. It was a mini vacation! The girls were at my parents and I had the whole van to myself. I turned the music up, the sun was shining and I felt so free. In moments like these, I still feel like I did in my early twenties. At one point, the music was blaring out the window and a couple on the street looked over at me and seemed a little annoyed. I just thought I was cool until I imagined what they saw: a thirty one year old in a sage green mini van! I wondered if they saw the empty car seats in the back.

Even though I'm not 2o anymore, I'm happy at the age I am. In fact, I'm looking forward to being 40 because when I see how much I have changed in the last 10 years, it's exciting to think what I could be like in 10 more! I know there are a lot of ups and downs in store for me in the years to come. Those things to come are like the sand in the ocean and I am the agate tumbling around in the waves. Each year, the rough edges will be smoothed down a little more and I hope I'll only get more beautiful (at least on the inside) over time. I wonder what I'll be driving when I no longer have to tote kids around?

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it funny that when we were twenty we didn't think that way? We vaguely wondered what 30 would be like, but we didn't think we'd actually be better people by then. I, too, am looking forward to 40. There should be one kid graduating high school age at that point, and while that will be bittersweet, when I go to my 20th reunion at GU, my kid could actually be a student there. Isn't that freaky?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!