2.10.2009

Mommy Monster

Today I am exhausted. I had an old friend staying with me for a few days and we had a great time. Unfortunately, my husband was working during her stay and so I was juggling the girls while trying to visit with her. After the girls were put to bed, she and I would watch movies or talk until late in the night. Last night I invited friends over to meet her and we drank wine and talked until late…so I even woke up with a headache from the wine along with being tired from lack of sleep.

I hate trying to be a good mom when I’m tired. My patience is so thin that just the normal noises of two little girls gets under my skin and I feel like I could turn into a monster at any moment. I’m trying very hard not to be a Mommy Monster tonight. I do not have plans to clean the house, remake the bed, wash the towels or even empty the dishwasher. I’m in survival mode. I only have two things I want to accomplish: get my girls to bed and watch American Idol. If I focus on those two things, I think I’ll be able to keep the Mommy Monster at bay. I've found it's better to keep our house at peace rather than try to accomplish things while I'm too tired. There’s always tomorrow to tidy up and put things back in order....or maybe the day after that...

1 comment:

  1. Heather MannFebruary 10, 2009

    Holly - I was feeling a little anxiety over the way I left my house last evening in order to go to yours (dishes on counter, kids laundry on floor, no lunch made for Andrew, etc.) Even today I still haven't picked up after the kids, though I did do the dishes and I just have to say - last night was so much fun for me to meet your friends and just chat the evening away with you and them- it was worth the dirty kitchen that awaited me today. It is a reminder of how important making time for friends is and that nurturing ourselves has got to be the priority. Thanks for reminding me of that and including me in your evening!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!