2.24.2009

The Perfect Hair Stylist

I got my hair done today. I cost me WAY too much money. It's one thing I do to splurge on myself. I have to admit, I love to have a good haircut.
So what do you think?

Isn't it weird that my eyes are more green than brown now?

These pictures don't really look like me, do they?

~
I've been searching for the perfect hair stylist for a while now. I've come to the conclusion that there is no perfect stylist....except my sister, Wendy.
~
She has owned her salon now for 21 years! I was 11 years old when she opened it and she was doing my hair before that. She does the very best job on my hair plus I am completely comfortable with her and the conversation. I think I've been looking for another stylist who can give me the whole package like my sister! Tonight I was happy with my cut and with the person cuttting it, but it will just never be perfect like it was when I had Wendy around to do it.
~
Wendy is closing the doors to her shop at the end of this week. It's almost like a death in the family. In fact, as I write these words, tears are filling my eyes. She has gone through a whole lot in those years. She had a major battle with breast cancer, had a beautiful baby boy (now 6), many good and not so good relationships and friendships have passed through her salon, many good laughs and hard cries, loud music, political discussions, and more. It has been the center of her life and a big part of the rest of the family's lives as well. We'd meet down at the salon for lunch, late night hair cuts, and even a beer once in a while. I have lots and lots of memories of that place.
~
Wendy told me a while back, when she was thinking she wanted to close her doors, that she was going through a midlife crisis. Instead of divorcing her husband, she wanted to divorce her salon!
~
Goodbye to Wendy's salon and hello to what's in store for her in the years to come. May she be blessed in this new adventure and wherever it leads.

7 comments:

  1. Holly,
    Reading your blog made me cry! It is the end of an era closing my business but I will still be doing hair which I love to do and I'm thankful for your compliments. I will always be here to do your hair!
    Your new cut & color look great.
    This is my last day doing hair and business as Attitudes Salon. :(
    Your Sister Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly,
    Your blog made me cry! My life is entering a new stage and I am excited! Today is my last day of doinf business as Attitudes Salon but not the nlast day of doing what I love and that is doing HAIR and making people smile. I'll always be there to do your hair Holly. Thanks for the compliments.
    Here's to staying married and doing what I'm best at "Surving & Thriving".
    Your Sister Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly your hair looks great! I am looking forward to getting my hair done on Friday. I wish your sister well in the next chapter of her career.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meghan RyallFebruary 25, 2009

    Holly I love your hair! And I hope things go well for Wendy! I still remember when she cut and styled all our hair before graduation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look great--very stylish!
    LOve,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yardley MommaFebruary 27, 2009

    I love the color and how it frames your face! I just had mine cut, trying to grow it longer with a layered approach because it is so thick and wavy - yeah, right! Now all it does is nothing, I cannot style it and it just lays flat so I have to call the stylist back today - hair, hair, hair! I loved your sharing about your sister's salon and all the great connections. I miss that about my salon in California. Our stylist had cut my grandma's hair, my aunt, my mother's and then mine since I was old enough to get it cut. All I knew was Atorina and she was lovely! Thanks for reminding me of such great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must have taken your own picture as the angle is odd. Hair looks fine but you look much better in real life.

    Love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!