2.17.2009

The Resilience of a Child

This coming Sunday’s first reading:
Is 43:18-19, 21-22, 24b-25

Thus says the LORD:
Remember not the events of the past,
the things of long ago consider not;
see, I am doing something new!
Now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?
In the desert I make a way,
in the wasteland, rivers.
The people I formed for myself,
that they might announce my praise.
Yet you did not call upon me, O Jacob,
for you grew weary of me, O Israel.
You burdened me with your sins,
and wearied me with your crimes.
It is I, I, who wipe out,
for my own sake, your offenses;
your sins I remember no more.

I read this reading this morning as my little one crawled all over me. When she finally sat still enough for me to concentrate for a few moments these verses, from the prophet Isaiah, really spoke to me. I have had days where I feel like a mean and uncaring mom. It was especially bad when I was dealing with the will of a 4 year old for the first time. By the time I went to bed the heaviness of guilt would way me down until I went to sleep. In this scripture, God is basically saying, don’t think about the things in the past. I make all things new. Can’t you see that?

The longer I’m a mother, the more I see how resilient my children are. They wake up in the morning and seem to have completely forgotten how much trouble they were in the night before. They come to me with the same sweet hugs and kisses and ready for a new day.

God makes all things new!

I still need to continue to work on being the best mom I can be and take steps to keep myself in a good place so I can parent with love and concern more often than not. However, I trust that God will continue to make things new especially when I mess up. I can rest in knowing that my children are loved and taken care of and that they will weather the mommy storms just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!