3.25.2009

Do What Feels Good

I was discussing, the other day, with a like minded friend, parenting styles. We were talking about parents who do everything they can to keep their children from breaking down. These kind of parents are very organized and have elaborate plans to keep everyone in a happy place. Then there are those parents who seem to live the extreme opposite. They take their children to all the events and stay late. They are often on the go and living moment by moment. It seems that parents like this have children who are at the breaking point more than once a day.

As we were discussing, I was about to say we shouldn't be too controlling or too spontaneous, but I caught myself. Each parent has to do, within reason, what feels best for that parent and what works for each child. (I'm not condoning abuse or neglect, I'm talking about those who are trying to raise their children the best they can.)

It's easy to judge what other moms and dads are doing, but really we can't. There are so many factors that are invisible outside each individual family. What I've found, however, is that it is much easier to be close friends with families with similar parenting styles. In fact, it happens quite naturally. I just want to get away from thinking my way is the only and best way to parent.
~~~~
FYI- We are taking a little trip. I will try to keep blogging (cuz I love it). I was told I can blog ahead and release the posts later, but I just don't have the time to do that. Just thought you, my faithful readers, ought to know my oh-so-deep thoughts might run a bit shallow for a few days, if at all. Thank you, thank you, thank you for reading and please don't stop.

1 comment:

  1. That was a great post. I find that I often have judgment on parents that have different styles, but would hate to have judgment on my parenting. As you say, we're doing the best we can. Thank you for the reminder for us parents who are clearly work in progress.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!