3.04.2009

Still Waters Run Deep

I like a good discussion and argument. My family has always made room for healthy debate. However, I get tired of trying to defend what I believe about certain things when I just don’t know if what I’m defending is the truth or not. It’s hard to know these days with the explosion of information available to us. We used to trust the nightly news or just turn to the good old encyclopedia. Now it just seems hard to get a straight answer. I have to make judgments about what is true or not based on my feelings or my own perception. Then I don’t know if I can trust my own interpretation. It’s crazy.

There is only one place in my head and heart that does not falter. It is my faith in Jesus. I believe with all my heart that He is God and that He died on the cross to connect us, once again, with our Father in Heaven. The Truth of Jesus Christ rests firmly and deeply in my soul. The whole world could fall away from me and it would still be there. It is my source of comfort, of strength, of hope and of all my love. To me, it is not a matter of debate or persuasion. It is the Truth.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Holly,
    I don't think I've ever commented on your blog but I try to be a faithful reader...
    Anyway I just wanted to say I enjoyed this post and I find it very timely.
    Last night at our Bible study we discussed this very topic: what is true and what do we use to measure truth? Our conclusion was that it all comes back to the Word of God. The Bible holds truth for every aspect of our lives. While the world looks to science, philosophy, history, archaeology, etc, we know we can always trust His inspired word.
    Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the feeling of struggling to know the truth, and I envy your unwavering faith. In this "postmodern" world of ours, I think it's a common struggle. There are so many cultures, religions, and communities each with their own deeply-held beliefs about what is right, and when they conflict with each other, it becomes challenging to discern where we stand or should stand on the matter. You certainly shine with your strong faith, and that can be a way of grounding oneself. For me, though, I still find it a struggle to know what the Truth of Christ may be in relation to bioethics, political matters, national conflicts, or even how best to deal with folks in the grocery store. I guess that's what prayer and discernment are all about, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nicely said. And the capitol "T"...You know what you are talking about. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that it is the inspired word of God, but you may want to check out my post "The B-I-B-L-E, Yes that's the Book for Me" for a deeper understanding of what I believe "the Word of God" is. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!