5.31.2009

Aging

I have noticed over the years something about the aging process. It seems to me, people have age spurts. Such as when a toddler moves to kid, and kid to teenager. It's the same when we get older. As people age, they will go through a few years looking a little awkward, say after a woman gets gray hair or wrinkles around her eyes. After a while, most people start to figure out how to adjust their make-up and clothes to accommodate the aging process and will end up looking "comfortable in their own skin" again.
~
I have been going through one of these age spurts for the past few years. I am no longer a college aged woman. I am now a thirty something mom. My body has sagged a bit and stretched out in places (about 15 pounds of stretching :). My facial features are sharper rather than that smooth, soft look of a youthful woman. I'm also beginning to get some wrinkles around my eyes and mouth.
~
For a few years now, I have felt especially frumpy and unsophisticated in my current wardrobe. Jeans and t-shirts that once looked youthful and athletic on me are just not as flattering as they used to be. So, this year on my birthday, I have made a resolution. I am going to buy one new piece of clothing a month to update my look. It's time to dress my age!

Here is the first installment. I bought this shirt on my birthday and I feel very cute and stylish in it (it actually looks better in real life than in this picture)!

2 comments:

  1. You look adorable!!!

    I have been feeling kind of the same lately. I'm still in my mid twenties, but I've been letting myself go. I don't think I've actually gone shopping for myself in two years! I keep trying to look the same as I did in college but, like you said, the look just isn't working anymore. I like your goal of one piece of clothing a month. That way it doesn't feel so overwhelming, but the change is still happening.

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I need to do this also. It would help if I didn't have a pregnancy to wait for right now, though. I have a friend who buys skirts at Value Village, and then makes a stretchy lycra top for the skirt, and voila! A maternity skirt! I need to get her some materials so she can teach me.
    You look very cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!