5.18.2009

Just One More Thing

Dear readers, please stay with me for just one more post on my Pro-Life convictions. I know it's a touchy subject and I don't want to lose you because of it. I just have one more thing to say.
~
Rosie the Riveter

While in college, I was intrigued with the Women’s Studies program and took a few classes to further my knowledge of the subject. My roommate, and very good friend, was a self proclaimed feminist and Rosy the Riveter was displayed proudly on our wall. I still consider myself a quasi-feminist, however I cannot endorse feminism whole heartedly because there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for my Pro-Life views (plus the whole thing about only men being priests kind of bothers them as well).
~
I will never forget the time we were discussing abortion in one of these classes. I was very interested in understanding the Pro-Choice side of the abortion argument and even went so far as to attend a Pro-Choice Club meeting. In this class, our desks were in a circle and as the discussion ensued, I found myself nodding in agreement with all the women (and the professor). A woman’s plight is not easy. Some of the stories of women who had been raped, women taken advantage of through insest, and women just trying to make it through life without sinking into despair, were heart wrenching.
~
Then I chimed in on the conversation. I said, “I agree with you. I really do. It is hard. A lot of work must be done to help these women. However, I just can’t get past the fact that it is a life.” The room was silent and I was breathless (to my knowledge, I was the only person in the room that was Pro-Life). After my statement, we began to discuss ways to alleviate some of the pressure women have when there is an unwanted pregnancy. There are organizations out there: Crisis Pregnancy Centers, Birth Right, etc.
~
I wonder if abortion were not an option, maybe people would get more involved in trying to alleviate the suffering of women who are in crisis pregnancies. Instead, it seems to me, they are almost pressured to take the “easy” way out even though it is not easy at all. I don't think that kind of pressure on a woman is fair or loving.
~
Abortion is probably never going to go away. That’s why I will not shy away from the defense of innocent life. Maybe, just maybe, one life will be saved because of my conviction. As Rosie so proudly says, "WE CAN DO IT!"

2 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 19, 2009

    Holly, good for you in speaking up at those meetings. Re: Rosie as a symbol of motherhood, you might enjoy this image (on a tee-shirt, though I've seen it in a few other places)

    http://dirtees.com/cgi-bin/store/cpshop.cgi/maternityshirts.myubergoober-131569402+i-can-do-it-maternity-t-shirt.html

    (click on "view larger").

    Best,

    jim

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!