5.28.2009

My Own Birthday

My birthday is tomorrow. I'm not one to be shy about telling people. I don't really care that I'm getting older, in fact I like getting older. There's no sense in lamenting my age when there is nothing I can do about it. I also like the attention I get on my birthday. I am the youngest in my family and pretty outgoing, so being the center of attention is a comfortable place for me to be (not all the time, but on my birthday is just fine). The only reason I might hold back in telling someone that it's my birthday is that I wouldn't want anyone to feel obligated to give me a gift. I like to get presents, but the gift of presence is much more important to me. The presence of a friend in a gift, on the phone, in a card or just a hug is what touches me the most.

I'm not one of those women who likes to complain about a husband's idea of recognizing an important day such as my birthday, however in the years that I've been married, I have realized that my husband struggles in this area. He can come up with lots of excuses. I don't blame him. He is a good man and works very hard to provide for our little family. What he does is enough for me. However, I made the decision last year to make my own birthday special. I have started a yearly hike with friends. A hike with a friend combines two of my favorite things and it makes for a great day. I'm really looking forward to it! I will be heading into the hills on Saturday morning and the weather is predicted to be favorable. Happy Birthday to me!

3 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY tomorrow!
    God's Blessings & Grace
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 29, 2009

    Happy Birthday, Holly! Have a wonderful hike and a terrific day with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!