5.17.2009

Who is the Crazy Loony Anway?

Today is the day. Notre Dame is welcoming and honoring President Obama at their graduation. I turned on the news and read a little about it last night and I am feeling so anxious about the whole thing. I know many, many, many people who hold these views against abortion. They are good people, nice people, caring and intelligent (believe it or not). The protest today is, in my opinion, completely legitimate and necessary. I just worry some crazy loony is going to make this protest obsolete because the press will zero in on this idiot and then all Pro-Life Catholics* will be considered loonies. Wait...I guess that's already the perception....what am I worrying about???

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. As I write this my little two year old is sitting next to me (sticking her feet in my face) and all I can say is that I am so thankful for life.

*All Catholics should be Pro-Life but I don't blame some for not claiming to be. In this culture it is hard to understand why the Church would be against abortion. I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "oh, well I think it's a personal choice" like it is a choice about an elective surgery or something. At its very basic level, a life is a life is a life is a life. That is the stickler for any Christian or any person who believes life is a sacred gift (and that includes the life of the mother).

2 comments:

  1. I understand this is a very complicated issue. However, I am compelled by my faith and sincere respect for all life to defend it. I know it is not exactly black and white, but what is in this life?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you said that very well, Holly, and it does need to be said. See my facebook page for a really, really interesting discussion with my liberal facebook friends. I love learning that THEY are not all loonies, and having real, honest, intelligent conversations about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!