10.13.2009

Broken

As hard as I may try, I never get along well with EVERY person I meet. Much of the time, relationships with those that are hard for me to get along with are fairly superficial and so not a lot of thought or preoccupation goes in to those kind of acquaintances. However, for some reason, every once in a while, a relationship that means a lot to me begins to go sour. This happens in my marriage, with close friends, family and even my children at times. I often find myself lamenting and obsessing over what has gone wrong. I honestly try to figure out where I have added to the problem and try to avoid putting all the blame on the other person (often I wish I could just be the victim all the time because in some ways that would be a lot easier).

When I think back on the times I have been in the midst of a broken or breaking relationship, I remember wondering why I was going through this? What is the point? Why did I ever put my trust in this person in the first place? However, these questions, and the pain and rejection I feel, drive me to prayer. They make me take a closer look at how our world is broken, how I am broken, and how much I need God. Plus, I don't just spend time in prayer for myself, but I spend a lot of time praying for that person who is my "enemy" at the moment.

I guess this is what gives me hope. I know that deep down, every person is good and worth loving because every person is created by God and in His image and likeness. Even though I may not be getting along with someone does not entitle me to write that person off. I don't have to continue to put my heart in a place that will hurt me over and over, but I can continue to love and to pray for that person.

So, even though relationships can be hard and are imperfect, it is exactly in those times of suffering, loss and brokenness that God is present and longing as much as I am for things to be made right.

As it says in the book of Psalms, "The Lord is close to the broken hearted."

CLICK HERE for a related post titled, "Healing Wounds."

CLICK HERE for yet another related post titled, "Friend of my Soul."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!