10.23.2009

Filled with Joy


Here are some thoughts I had after reading this Sunday's readings:
~
After God's people had been freed from their exile and than were able to establish their own nation, they were very happy (I'm not exactly sure which exile this was, and I don't have time to look it up, my laundry is about to buzz and be ready to fold and put away). After such a great moment, the people wrote songs of praise. This is their song:

Psalm 126

The Lord has done great things for us and we are filled with joy.

When the Lord brought back the captives of Zion,
we were like men dreaming.
Then our mouth was filled with laughter,
and our tongue with rejoicing.

Then they said among the nations,
"The Lord has done great things for them."
The Lord has done great things for us,
we are glad indeed.

In the Gospel this week (Mark 10:46-52), a blind beggar, Bartimaeus, is trying to get Jesus' attention. After calling out to him a few times, Jesus told his disciples to call him. Bartimaeus was told to "take courage" and "get up." Then, and this is the part I love, Bartimaeus "threw aside his cloak, sprang up, and came to Jesus." He was so excited and anxious to be healed. That is exactly what happened. He told Jesus that he wanted to see and Jesus told him his faith has healed him and Bartimaeus was immediately healed. I can imagine that he felt like a man dreaming and that his mouth was filled with laughter and his tongue was rejoicing. In fact, as loudly as he kept calling Jesus to get his attention, I bet he used that same boldness to tell everyone that Jesus had done great things for him and that he was glad indeed.

I have personally had some minor moments of such joy in my life and I can only imagine the incredible joy that the Israelites felt to be free and Bartimaeus felt to be able to see. I've lived a good, American, middle class life and am healthy (at least my health issues are quite minor). However, those moments of joy that I have experienced, and attribute to God and his love and care for me, are lasting. It is those moments that get me by to the next moment of joy.

The Lord has done great things for me and I am glad indeed!

...gotta go, my laundry is has finished drying...call me "Holly Homemaker."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!