10.03.2009

Finally Loving Yourself

I grew up in a house that was well-organized and always clean. My mom vacuumed daily, was often changing furniture around, kept fresh flowers on the tables and was always completely dressed and ready before I even rolled out of bed. She was (and still is) very disciplined with her housework and even enjoyed it.

I have never been such a neat and tidy person. When I was young, I assumed that one day I would be like my mom...it has never happened. I am not a complete slob, thanks to her coaxing and teaching, but I really could be better. I also understand that if the space around us is clean and neat, it brings a sense of peace to our family and that is the kind of feeling I want my children to have in their home.

I find housework such a chore (along with cooking, but that's been discussed here before). I have established a few good habits such as picking up the living room each evening and always cleaning the kitchen before I go to bed. However, I know I can do better and I know there must be some feelings of accomplishment to be found in this, my JOB.

A while back, I came across this website called FlyLady.net. I thought it seemed like a great idea, but I wasn't ready to tackle the process. I've been reading it over a little more lately and I really like the philosophy behind it. FLY stands for Finally Loving Yourself. It is a system based on small steps toward success in decluttering your life. What I like is that it that they send emails that keep you on a schedule so I don't have to do the planning, just follow the steps (very slowly as they constantly remind the readers).

The funny thing is that this web site's advice is everything my mother has always recommended to me, it's just not my mom saying it. :)

2 comments:

  1. I love the Flylady too. I have gotten more things done just resetting my timer 15 minutes at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like flylady, but it's hard to get into it. And I came from a messy house and have the same problem. But guess what? We have a new plan for Mr. Grumble Grumble, thanks to Ray Guarendi. Every time Mr. 7 year old Grumble boy whines, cries, fusses or stomps, he gets another chore. The list was super long for two days, but he realized I was serious. It was exhausting at first, but man, my house is a lot cleaner, and someone is learning that he just can't be disrespectful to Mom anymore. It's over, kid.
    Also, Managers of Their Chores from www.titus2.com might be just what you need. I am so amazed at how much the philosophy part brightened my outlook, not to mention the actual tools and help. Might be worth a gander!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!