10.29.2009

Work it!

I know that I keep going on and on about how wonderful life is now that my thyroid is getting some help. It is so great to not feel like such a lazy loser any longer. Even before I was feeling better I was looking for a solution to my homemaking woes and so, as I was getting better, I began implementing some of the tips I've come across (especially from FlyLady.net). The timing could not have been more perfect.

Just a couple months ago I could barely get out of bed in the morning, I'd lay around on the couch in my jammies for most of the day, take deep breaths and sigh loudly when doing any kind of work such as putting dishes away, barely get dinner on the table, and go to bed exhausted (only to wake up and hour later with my mind racing). I felt so devastated and so bad about myself.

Now, I get up every morning, jump in the shower, get completely ready and go to work. I put the dishes away, do a load of laundry, keep my "to list" updated, clean the bathroom and finish with a hot cup of coffee and breakfast. All this takes me about an hour and a half and I'm getting faster and more focused, that's the key according to The Fly Lady! From there I am following some of her other suggestions such as a weekly house blessing (spending 10 minutes each on mopping, dusting, purging magazines, cleaning mirrors and door knobs, vacuuming, making beds), and getting rid of clutter.
~
I've also come across a cook book called, Saving Dinner. It was recommended to me by my friend, Annaberri at What the Hey. Then I noticed that the author of this book works along side The Fly Lady. Saving Dinner has been wonderful for me! The recipes are divided up into weekly menus and further broken up by season (love that). The recipes are simple, mostly yummy and filling. My husband has enjoyed almost every dish and my kids are not complaining any more than usual. Plus, the recommended sides are super easy to prepare. Now, after two weeks of using this cookbook, I am sold. My grocery shopping has been streamlined to once a week and I'm spending about $30 less a week (and we have plenty to eat)!
~
I feel like a new woman. I am finally taking on this job of mine and am no longer a complete SHE (sidetracked home executive). Now, as I get my own routines in order, I am starting to think about how to get my children on board. I want to set them up with healthy habits to run their lives, households and jobs in the future. I realize now how important instilling the value of a good work ethic (work without the expectation of reward being a good in itself) in my dear little children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!