11.16.2009

In Good Times, and in Bad

Now that my thyroid is working the way it ought, I have more energy. So, instead of spending much of my time reading, writing and reflecting, I am cleaning, organizing, and cooking. My prayers for health and energy have finally been answered and now I can't seem to find the time to reflect and pray. It's a weird kind of irony.

Maybe that is why St. James writes at the beginning of his epistle, "...whenever you face trials of any kind, consider it nothing but joy, because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance; and let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking in nothing."

Or, as St. Paul refers to the "thorn in his side," he writes in 2 Corinthians 12:8-9: "Three times I appealed to the Lord about this, that it would leave me, but he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.' So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me."

As much as I kick, scream and lament my trials and weaknesses, they are a gift, and in them I encounter God's Grace. When my health is bad or I am having some other kind of difficulty, my mind and heart are wrapped in prayer. I plead. I beg. I seek understanding. My prayers are answered (not always as I want or expect I might add). When things are going well, I am less inclined to prayer and the awareness of my dependency on God is pushed aside.

I have often been encouraged, through reading and through holy people I know, to establish a daily prayer routine. Most say the best times are before I get up and before going to bed. I am now coming to a better understanding of the importance of such a routine. In the good times I will pray and in the bad times I will pray more (my goal: to pray equally in both the good and bad times..baby steps). I guess I better add prayer to my morning and night routines that The Fly Lady helped me come up with. Come to think of it, she does encourage such a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!