11.10.2009

Planet Mom

Bethany and I standing in front of the MOPS banner.
Bethany is a friend from high school who invited me to
speak to her MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) group.

Today was the day that I gave a talk to a group of very nice moms in Monmouth, Oregon. I was kind of nervous the night before and my husband told me to just be myself. Like I told the group today, it was hard for me to believe that myself was good enough. What could I have to say? I mean, wouldn't it have been better if I were a very successful, fit and trim, healthy and well-adjusted mom? Instead, I went before them as a struggling mom just trying to find my way. However, they seemed to like what I had to say, so I think it was a successful talk.

My task was to talk about Life on Planet Mom. I, of course, have never been to another planet, but I have lived in Italy for a while. I compared my experience of living in Italy with that of being a mom. My only regret is that I did not use more examples and images that people could walk away with and remember. That being said, I think we all had a pretty good time. After my talk, the moms were divided into groups and we had discussion questions. From the murmur around the room, I think what I said at least fostered some discussion. It did at my table anyway. ;)

To all you moms that I met today, thank you for so graciously inviting me to speak at your group. I felt very welcome and appreciated. It was a pleasure for me to talk about my "agates" and I hope you were able to pick up at least a few. I'm excited to think that some of you may read my blog and I hope it is something that will be uplifting to you. I share my joys AND my struggles here because I believe it is important for us to know we are not alone. From what I can tell, when we are able to be honest with ourselves about what life as a mom (on Planet Mom) is really like, then we will be able to truly embrace the life and move ahead with confidence.

1 comment:

  1. Holly, we did love having you come. People have told me that they liked the Italy analogy and that you were very down-to-earth and relatable. Thanks for being willing to serve our group! I was so glad you were able to stay at my house too, it was great to have time to just sit and talk with you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!