12.16.2009

Holiday Madness

This "holiday" season got the best of me. I'm calling it "holiday" because that's the part of it that has nothing to do with Jesus and everything to do with consumption. I have been whisked up into the holiday machine, thrown around, beat up and now I've been spit out onto the ground. I'm tired, frazzled and disgusted. My intention was to not let this happen, and it has. The "holiday" spirit is so strong and, even with all my will, hard to resist.

This has been a theme in my thinking lately as I worry about my children and what they are gleaning from holiday madness as well as the general madness of the world around them. The "spirit" is strong. I know that the spirit of God (peace, love, joy, hope) is stronger, but it can seem so quiet and unassuming. How can a spirit like that break through the clamour of the world around us?

Without doubt, there would be no need for faith. I guess doubt has entered my thinking once again. I just need to hold on to Hope while my family and I are being whipped around in the chaos machine. My prayer, like Christ to his Father the night before he died, ought to be, "not my will but yours."

God's will is strong enough.

I often think of the scene from the movie "The Prince of Egypt" when Moses asks Pharaoh to let the Hebrew slaves go. Pharaoh asks for a sign from Moses' god and God turns Moses' staff into a snake. Pharaoh has his priests come out to perform the same miracle, but in the end, Moses' snake eats their snakes.

What I like about this movie's interpretation of that event is how, as Moses' snake eats the other two snakes, it goes almost unnoticed because of the dramatic production of the Egyptian priests.
God's will is stronger, but much less flashy.

I'm bruised and broken, but I'm going to get up and have faith in my God who is all-powerful, all-loving and yet, unassuming. Once again, I will make my choice to believe.

You can watch the scene here. The scene ends after about three minutes but the only video I could find was just over ten minutes. Actually, the whole clip is quite good if you want to watch the whole thing.

1 comment:

  1. Very thoughtful post, Holly. I guess I should count myself lucky that we haven't been invited to a single "holiday" party and we actually have had a relatively peaceful December.
    The Prince of Egypt is one of my all-time favorite movies. Thank you for the analogy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!