1.15.2010

More Thoughts on Pain

After writing Life is Pain the other day, I was hesitant about it. I wasn't sure if my scattered thoughts were complete enough. I had much more to say, but I did not feel like writing a novel that night.

This is a PS on that post:
~
The other day, Little Bear and her little feet tripped over a curve while my back was turned. She was so upset. She cried and cried, although there was no blood. I hugged her and comforted her for as long as I could, but we had to be somewhere, so I put her in her car seat and we were on the road. In the back of the van she kept whimpering and looking at her hands. She is a pretty tough toddler and I was surprised at how this accident stripped the joy right out of her for over an hour. All I could do was look in my rear view mirror and say, "I'm so sorry. I know it hurts."
~
At this point I realized that, although pain is vital for life, pain is inherently lonely. Little Bear had to deal with her pain alone. No amount of hugs and sympathy was going to fix the pain, nor would I even share her pain. As much as I longed to be there for her, she had to deal with this minor suffering without me.
`
When I wrote Life is Pain the other day, I was suffering. I was not sleeping for lack of breath and wheezing from my asthma. Describing my misery was not going to make it go away or would anyone really be able to understand. So, I prayed a lot and I thought about how Jesus must have felt on the cross when he couldn't get a breath...for me...for our fallen world.
~
It is in this particular loneliness that God is our closest companion. God is the only "person" that can be with us in times of pain and suffering. Not only that, He understands all forms of pain because he was a man. He lived, as we live, in human flesh and with human emotion.
~
I am not taking back what I said about sharing our pain with one another. By being honest about pain and suffering, we will draw closer to one another. In doing this, we will help each other to accept our own suffering, our own crosses, and ultimately lead us closer to our most faithful and ever-present companion, God.
~
And isn't that what life is really about?

1 comment:

  1. Perfect. I am once again reminded of the Footprints story.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!