5.17.2010

From the Good Old Days...

I found this reflection and prayer that I wrote in an old journal. This entry is dated August 24, 2001. It was before marriage, and before children and yet still rings true to who I am today.

Hebrews 12:7-13
"Endure your trials as discipline; God treats you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? At the time, all discipline seems a cause not for joy but for pain, yet later it brings the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who are trained by it.
~
So strengthen your drooping hands and you weak knees. Make straight paths for your feet, that what is lame may not be disjointed but healed."
~
~
Lord, so easily I allow my hands to droop, my knees to get weak and my paths to go crooked. Selfishly I think that my problems are somehow unrelated to you and the rest of my life. They are just annoyances that if I whine and pray enough to you, you will take them away.
~
But I've been mistaken. It is you, my Father, who gives me these trials, this suffering, to discipline me. Rather than be a good daughter and learn from your discipline, I fight it. I do no honor to you in this way. What daughter would speak negatively about her Father and the way he disciplines his children?
~
Father, I want to be a good and disciplined daughter so that my life honors you. I want to follow the example of your most beloved son, Jesus, who endured to the end--not once going against your will. He completely trusted you to the point of death and now he sits at your right hand in heaven.
~
Jesus, teach me, in your wisdom, how to endure our Father's discipline so that I may be molded into His image and one day be with you in heaven. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!