9.08.2010

Advice to Self

On the first day of school for Grasshopper, now in second grade, I found out something I am not happy about.  There are 28 children in her class.  28!  That is too many.  Our little school is a charter school and is supposed to keep the class size under 24.  It has been my one consolation in the madness of public education.  We have so very few options where we live for school and I'm decidedly upset.

What do I do now?  Do I homeschool or check out the local private schools (that I have never really heard great things about academically speaking)?  Or do I just wait out the year and see how things go?  I just can't imagine that a teacher can be successful with such a large class and how will my daughter get what she needs?

The advice I would give to the me years ago (and my daughter was only three at the time and I was not thinking about schools), "make sure there are good schools before you move anywhere."

Live and learn.  Maybe by writing this it will help someone to not make the mistake we have made.

However, I do have to add, that living in this place has brought many great blessings as well.  We have made some wonderful friends, we have a nice little church to attend, and in no other way do I regret our decision.  I just hope that I am able to give my children what they need to grow up to be true thinkers and to use their brains and creativity to live the life they have been given.  It's a daunting task ahead of me.  Again, one step a time.

1 comment:

  1. This is why, as my new job as a Mother, I have also taken on Teacher. We plan on homeschooling our kids. I know it's a big task, but we feel like they will be better prepared and not lost in the mix. I have a few years, but I'm still not sure that I'm prepared to take that on!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!