10.25.2010

Healing Wounds

Previously published on February 19, 2009

The other day I cut my finger with my kitchen scissors. I didn't have to get stitches, but it was deep enough to take some time to heal. The healing is taking longer than I expected. With a band aide, my skin can't breathe. Then when I take the band aide off, the cut catches on things and that irritates it and delays the healing process even more. Basically, I'm just having to be careful with it until it heals completely.


When I've been hurt by someone or some situation, it's kind of like this cut on my finger. First of all, I need to recognize that I have been wounded and take measures to care for it. I then need to realize that things don't just heal because I put a band aide on them. In fact, the band aide can even slow things down. I also can't just leave the wound uncovered and let it be irritated over and over. Just like the cut on my finger, all I can do is be gentle with the things that hurt me. I have to give myself time. I know that Jesus is doing the healing and so I need to be patient and careful with myself during the process. I must gently tend to the wound.

2 comments:

  1. Holly, I enjoy watching the Holy Spirit work through you as your ministry here continues to develop. Lately, I have noticed that your posts resemble the format that can be found in Through The Years With Fulton Sheen. Archbishop Sheen had such an interesting way to deal with modern issues (as it was in the 50s and 60s). I see your last several posts as resembling his work, and I really enjoy it! Thank you for continuing to bless us all with your thoughts and words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly, I love this analogy! I've been wounded deeply and crying out to God for answers as to why, asking Him to remove the hurt because I don't know how much more I can take...this here is like an answered prayer. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!