10.09.2010

My Job

Grasshopper turned eight yesterday and we had our first slumber party.  There were four extra little girls sleeping on our living room floor...well, I'm not sure they slept all that much.  I, admittedly, was a wreck almost the entire time.  I was pacing the floor, hiding in the kitchen, biting my lip just hoping and praying that they would go to sleep quickly.  It was sort of a strange moment in my mommy life.  It was like I was just waiting to catch my daughter in the act of something terrible: jumping on the couch, saying something mean, sneaking into the kitchen for food.  Then, I began to feel desperate knowing how exhausted and hard to deal with she'd be the next day.

As I fretted and worried and wished I could quit my "job," Proverbs 22:6 began to float through my thoughts.  "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."  The part that hit me was when he is old.  Now is the time for me to teach, to train my children what is right, what is true and what it means to live in this world as a Christian.  It however, is not the time for me to expect them to get it all right.  In fact, when I think back on my own childhood there were many times when I acted in ways unbecoming of someone who claims to follow Christ.  So, why do I think that my own children should be perfect?  Why am I fretting over each tiny, selfish, kid thing?

Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it

Now is the time and the place for my children to make the mistakes that will eventually lead them to a life of holiness.  My job is to teach them that way.  They will make their own choices.

Art work by Ron DiCianni titled "Lord Teach Us to Pray"
CLICK HERE for more info

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!