11.12.2010

7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 6)

Click on the image above to go to Conversion Diary

~1~
It has been a long, long, week as I and my family have been suffering in sickness.  I don't normally avoid people when I am sick or avoid those who are sick.  I'm not like a friend of mine who once she discovers someone around her is sick, she promptly trots off to her car to grab her hand sanitizer.  However, this illness has been the exception.  I do not want to pass it on to anyone.  It's a doozy.

~2~
Meanwhile, my dear husband replaced our kitchen floor.  Although I am happy to have a new floor, I was not exactly happy about how he went about completing the task.  You know how it is when your spouse stays up until 4AM putting in a new floor.  He sleeps in the next day, until he can rouse himself up to complete the task.  At the same time, you drag around your illness-stricken body, trying to console your baby's illness-stricken body and, on top of it all, make lunch for your three-year-old out of the fridge that's been moved to the hallway.  However, now that it's done, I'm not complaining.

~3~
I recently discovered a teaching that the Catholic Church holds that I had never heard of.  It is called The Principle of SubsidiarityIt is, as stated at CatholicCulture.org,  the principle that "holds that human affairs are best handled at the lowest possible level, closest to the affected persons."  Ah ha!  I knew there had to be some kind of teaching about this.  My liberal Catholic friends, good hearted as they are, vote in program, after program, after government program, all under the shield of the Social Doctrine of the Church.  I can understand voting this way because, to the caring heart, it sounds good.  I, on the other hand, have always tried to state my conservative case for smaller government because a smaller government is closer to the people who actually need the help.  I'd be much more likely to vote for some program to help the poor if it were administered by my city, county or maybe state.  I hesitate, no I put my foot down, at a federal program and now I have a principle of the Church to back what I know to be true!  That makes me so happy!  Funny how my liberal Catholic university education never taught me about subsidiarity (and I was a theology major).

~4~
That reminds me of something that happened to me while in college oh-so-many-years ago that illustrates my life as a conservative Catholic Christian to this day.  In philosophy class, a required core class, the professor was discussing the problem of suffering and why God (if there is a God) would allow it.  I can't remember all the details, but I remember stating that God sees things with the eyes of eternity and we may not understand and it may seem bad to us, but that God's perspective is so much bigger than ours.  After class, I packed up my purple backpack with my Jesus fish pinned prominently next to my button supporting the basketball team and in the student center a handsome guy from this class approached me.  He was very lively in introducing himself and he asked me if I was a Christian.  I can still picture his expectant face.  I stood up straighter and said "yes" a little too enthusiastically.  I was excited too.  He then asked me what church I go to.  I said, with the same exuberance but a little forced because I instantly knew by his question where this was going, "to the Catholic church, up in the student chapel."  His face dropped.  He mumbled something else and was out of my life forever.  He was not a Catholic and disappointed that I was not a "real" Christian (I assume).

I could tell you story after story in my life that is similar to this one and I'm not even sure why I wrote this one here today...moving on...

~5~
Tomorrow is the big date.  My husband and I are going to see Brandon FlowersIt will be so nice to get away for an evening.  Of course, my hubby must wake up bright and early the next day to go back to work, so we'll be rushing home.  The concert doesn't even start until 9 PM.  I hope I can stay awake.  Now where are my ear plugs.

~6~
The last time we went to a concert with The Killers, I felt so frumpy and outdated.  Truth be told, I feel kind of out of style every time I leave the house.  Now it's getting worse.  A very dear friend of mine sells vintage clothing online (Sweet Bee Finds...if you're interested).  Her influence is beginning to rub off on me, but not in the clothing department.  Instead, I have been searching out vintage children's books.  The other day at the church bazaar, I picked up a few including a very cute one title Millions of Cats by Wanda Gag (1928).
 
The book is actually newer than that, but I'm more interested in vintage content than vintage quality.  Gag's artwork reminds me a little of Elsa Beskow who's books I love and, funny thing, Sweet Bee introduced me to Beskow a few years ago..hmm...it is fascinating how humans influence each other...there's a blog post in this somewhere...

~7~
I'm also reading a darling story from the library to my kids called Happy Jack by Thornton W. Burgess (1918).  My dad read his books when he was a little boy and I own one of my dad's books from way back then (he just turned 70 on November 1st).  They are great stories and my girls seem to love them as well. 

Forgive me if this post was a little long and rambled a bit.  Thanks for reading anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!