11.19.2010

7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 7)

Click on the image above to go to Conversion Diary


~1~
Our kitchen really, really, really is complete...well, almost.  Anyway, I thought you may like to see a picture of our new floor.  I really like it especially because I can't see any dirt on it and it is a sort of matte finish so I don't have to keep it shiny.  We used a flooring called Allure from Home Depot.  It was fairly easy to install (if you are not a perfectionist).  My husband had a good lesson in mediocrity.  It did not make his perfectionist nature very happy.  I just went to bed to avoid the shrapnel of his bullets of frustration.  He's happy now that it is done, thankfully. 

~2~
Ahhh....Brandon Flowers.  We drove, we watched, we sang, we danced, we returned by 2 AM.
It was a small venue so we could see everything including his goofy guitar player and silly back up singers.  They were easy to ignore compared to the wonderfulness oozing out of Brandon.  He's so great.  We are dreaming of our next trip to see his band in Las Vegas.  Wouldn't that be great?  I wonder if we could be classified as "groupie" yet?  Probably not.  Sometimes I dream of walking out the door, leaving this life to follow The Killers like some followed the Grateful Dead...not really.

~3~
In a couple hours I will be walking out the door into our  packed sage green mini van.  We are off to Eastern Oregon for Thanksgiving.  Holidays with my husband's family are never dull.  He has four siblings who all live very near to his parents (my husband is the only escapee so far) and they all have children.  The front door is always opening and closing as new people trample in and out.  I'm looking forward to the time away and the mundane of my little home. 

~4~
As for the mundane of the nine hour car trip, I'm not really looking forward to that.  Most parents I know stock the car with a multitude of toys, coloring books, crayons, food, and DVDs.  Not me.  I have found the more stuff we have in the car to entertain the kids, the more fights that break out.  Not only that, something always falls out of reach and and then we are all scrambling to find whatever it is (like a barbie shoe, for instance) before someone has a mental breakdown.  As for the DVD player, I think it's good for kids to be bored and look out the window at the scenery.  I did it, so can they (and I'm better for it...I think).

~5~

I may not like the toys or DVDs, but I do like to bring along music and stories for the kids to listen to.  I subscribe to a podcast through itunes called Storynory.  There is also a website called Stroynory.com.  The girls love the stories read by a British story teller named Natasha.  Most of the audio stories are classics and fables, but there are also some original stories about a frog prince named Bertie and some of his pond friends
~6~

I've also stored some music on our ipod for the trip.  Elizabeth Mitchel is, by far, my favorite childrens' music artist.  She has a number of CDs out, my favorite being Little BirdCLICK HERE to listen to some of this CD on Amazon.

~6~
My second favorite children's music singer is Linda Yapp.  She was Grasshopper's pre-school teacher and has made at least three children's CDs.  I own her CD titled For the Love of Hawaii that was nominated in 2008 for The Parent's Choice AwardCLICK HERE to listen to some of Linda's songs.

~7~

Last, but not least, a bloggy giveaway!  That's right.  I'm giving away a book called Bedtime Blessings: 100 Bedtime Stories & Activities for Blessing Your ChildIt is the second volume published by Focus on the Family and written by John Trent.  It is a sweet little book and all you have to do to get it is enter a comment, any comment, on this post.  I will draw names and announce the winner next Friday.  If you are the winner all you'll need to do is send me an email with your address (see the side bar) and I will send the book to you for free.  Sound fun? Then comment....I'm waiting anxiously.

Thanks for reading.  Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. We don't have a DVD player, either, nor do we want one. I hadn't ever thought @ the fights/dropping things dynamic, but it makes sense. Mostly we try to avoid long car trips LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a sneaky way to get blog comments! :) What kind of flooring is that? Is it tile or peel and stick or linoleum...or possibly something else I don't know of? I'm in the process of updating our kitchen before we rent it for a couple years then sell it. And I never thought about all the toys causing a fight, but it makes sense. Good thinking! I hope your drive was safe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!