12.30.2010

7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 10)

Click on the image above to read Jennifer Fulwiler's blog.

~1~
It's that time of year when I endure the post Christmas Clutter Crash.  Right now, our tree is dry, the ornaments look as if they are all about to fall off and the unwrapped presents are piled in a disorganized puddle underneath.  What a mess.  I just need to go into clean-up mode and get this stuff put away and put out, but it's difficult to do that.  Christmas was so wonderful, so beautiful, so joyful and to put all of that away is hard for me.  Thankfully, as a Catholic, we get to celebrate Christmas this year until the 9th of January.  However, I still need to get the tree out of the house before the needles burry all the presents.

~2~
One present I am still enjoying is this year's Christmas video by The Killers (a present not only for me but for everybody).  This year's song, "Boots," might be my favorite Christmas song they've put out yet.  Since we are still celebrating Christmas, it's not too late to watch (or listen) to it.  The images that Brandon comes up with are great in this song.  He, in my opinion, is an amazing writer and artist.  This particular song gives the listener a glimpse in the life of a family (his I assume)at Christmastime.  The following is the YouTube version without the video.  I personally prefer to listen to the words of this song.  CLICK HERE to watch the official video if you'd like.  Without further ado: "BOOTS".


~3~
Hidden somewhere under our dilapidated tree are my gifts, most of which were books this year.  Of course, this makes me so happy.  I think my husband finally figured out that books are more pleasing to me than, say, an electric skillet.  He bought three for me this year...well, sort of..one I ordered for myself and wrapped it from him.  Here are all the books I received and am so anxious to read:
  • Broke: The Plan to Restore Our Trust, Truth and Treasure by Glenn Beck
  • A Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations (two novels combined) by Charles Dickens
  • Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict XVI (this is the one I ordered for myself)
  • Van Gogh: A Retrospective edited by Susan Alyson Stein (thanks Sweet Bee)
Happy reading to me!  What are you reading?  Just thought I'd ask.

~4~
That reminds me, I have changed my setting for comments on this blog.  Some people have mentioned that it is difficult to comment and I'm always trying to get my shy readers to tell me something, anything, so I removed one step.  Go ahead, try to comment...if you dare!  But remember this, I will still write whether I get a comment or not.

~5~
Even though the Christmas Clutter Crash is bothering me, it's not as bad this year as in the past.  I was very careful to only buy four gifts for each child plus a Santa gift.  I am trying to avoid that overwhelming, over-consumerized (is that a word?) Christmas.  My husband remembers Christmases with lots of gifts and glitz so he has been the resistance in our family to simplifying.  I told him that I was only buying four nice gifts this year and if he thinks the girls need more than that, then he can buy and wrap them himself.  It worked!  Plus, I wrap our gifts in fabric instead of paper and that cuts down on the craziness as well.

~6~
The other day my sister sent me a link to a site of some videos of the Shroud of Turin converted from 2D to 3D.  I wrapped our gifts in fabric and Jesus was wrapped in this shroud at his burial!  At least some claim it is so. 

As the website says, "[t]he final work of the conversion from 2D to 3D by Bernardo Galmarini included the positioning of the 625 virtual camera shots, placed in a virtual lateral camera array..."

It's pretty cool.  CLICK HERE to check it out!
CLICK HERE for information on the shroud from Wikipedia.

~7~
With the arrival of New Year's Eve, I guess it's time for New Year's resolutions.  At this point, I don't have any.  In fact, I don't plan to have any.  Not because my life is perfect, but because I'm tired of failing to keep my resolutions.  Maybe I'll start a movement:  A Campaign Against New Year's Resolutions for Those Stuck in Mediocrity.  Will you join me in boycotting all news and articles having to do with resolutions?  If enough people join together, maybe I won't have to be bombarded every year with guilt. 

Happy New Year!  Cheers to you and yours!

7 comments:

  1. So interesting to see the books you received! I am a huge fan of Dickens and have been so all my life. Have you read any of his other novels? And "Jesus of Nazareth" is what I'm reading right now for our parish's Catholic book club (http://bookgetaway.wordpress.com, if you're interested). I'm glad to have gotten a look at your blog--I'll bookmark it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy your frequent updates = keep up the great work on your blog. Wishing you a happy and healthy 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some years ago, I made a resolution:

    I will not make New Year's Resolutions.

    I have kept it faithfully.

    The concept just does not work for me, if it doesn't work for you either, you have my permission (for what it's worth!) to not feel guilty about not making resolutions. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say I really can't NOT do resolutions. It's part of me. This year though, I limited it to two things, with detailed plans and time lines. I'll let you know if it works....and possibly join your campaign, depending. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhhh #7! I sooo agree with you. No one follows through!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm currently reading a Shel Silverstein book to my sweety. ;) It's going quick, though. I'm also reading "Haunted" by Chuck Pahliniuk (my favorite author). There's another one that the name isn't coming to mind...it's on my list of tons of Christian books to read, assigned by my husband.
    A few years ago I made the resolution to be the best wife I could be. I stick with that one each year. This year though...to get moved (come March), and hopefully get pregnant again (hopefully April)! Plus...be the best wife I can be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice blog, i like it..

    Gautam

    http://tourism-independent-india.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!