12.16.2010

Be Strong

I've been watching Sarah Palin's Alaska on TLC.  Sarah Palin, no matter what you think of her politics, is one strong woman.  She reminds me a lot of women I have grown up with in Montana.  They, like she, are strong, smart and beautiful.  Sometimes their beauty is not as flashy as Palin's, but they have a radiance from their inner strength.


Last Sunday on the show, Kate Gosselin, from John and Kate Plus 8, was in Alaska with Sarah Palin.  They were going camping together.  Before they even set up camp, they had to be trained in bear defense.  The scenes where Sarah shoots a giant gun at a bear target are amazing.  She obviously loves the activity.  Kate, meanwhile, seemed quite horrified by the whole experience.


That's not even the worst of it.  When they finally arrived at the campsite, it was cold and raining.  Sarah and her family, used to being in the rugged outdoors, made the best of their time in spite of the drizzly weather.  Kate, on the other hand, sat under the tent and whined and complained until she finally informed Sarah that she was not staying the night.  She utterly wimped out.

I grew up camping and doing outdoorsy kinds of stuff.  Our little family shares the Palin's love for time in the wilderness. While watching the show I was annoyed with Kate Gosselin for being such a whiner.

However, ahem...however, I am, in a lot of ways, more like Kate than Sarah.  It is very hard for me to admit this.  I have always imagined myself a strong woman, and in many ways I am.  But, I am not often a strong wife and mother.  Many women in my life grab on to their roles as wives and mothers and take charge.  They, like Sarah Palin, keep trudging forward in spite of the weather.  They are not paralyzed by unorganized toys, not-so-fantastic dinners, or unseemly behavior in their children.  These women take charge of the home even through the difficult times.

I rely a lot, too much, on people around me to "help" me.  My husband comes home from work and I start in on my litany of complaints.  I'll whine about my lack of energy or how I just couldn't make dinner or how badly his girls behaved and then look at him pleadingly.  "What should I do?"  How annoying!  He gives me reassurance, but it's never enough for me.

In last Sunday's reading from Isaiah 35, the words BE STRONG jumped out at me.  Then I saw a travel mug with the same words.  Yesterday, I was not unusually paralyzed by moving furniture to set up the Christmas tree, when it hit me.  I can do this.  I can take charge of the home.  I don't need my husband, or anyone else, to move a couch.  I did invite a friend over for some extra courage and she actually used the same words.  She told me to BE STRONG and that I can do things, like move furniture and set up a Christmas tree, without help.  She basically told me I need to prove to myself and my husband that I can manage the tasks at hand.  I don't need to be a victim of the "weather."

She's right.  I can move a tree, make a dinner, clean and organize a room, without help and constant reassurance.  I am strong.  God has given me the vocation of motherhood and He gives me the strength to endure it and to take charge of it.  I don't need to wait for my husband, or anyone else, to validate my role in our home.

I'm not saying I don't ever need help.  My husband is my "helpmate," as God's Word states.  Our marriage partnership is just that, a partnership (with benefits).  I am saying that my part in this partnership, is mine. I must own it.  I am woman mother, hear me roar! 
  • TLC preview of the show if you want to watch Kate Gosselin being a wimp.
  • Something I've learned in the past: if I act like a victim, people will treat me like a victim.
  • While writing this post, Little Bear was watching Little Bear.  The characters kept saying the following: "Whether the weather be cold, or whether weather be hot.  We'll weather the weather, whatever the weather, whether we like it or not."

2 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot for the post.It's certainly a good deal.Have a nice time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this, Holly. I find myself doing the same thing. I really have a ton to do, it seems to me, and so I find myself doing nothing! And just today I was complaining about the amount I have to do and no one stepping up to help. Why should they? I need to own it, just like you. This is just what I needed. Thank you, Holly. God is good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!