3.16.2011

Finding Time to Pray

Finding time to pray in the midst of family life is difficult, to say the least, but it is not impossible.  I have tried to devote myself to praying thirty minutes in the morning and thirty minutes in the evening.  I try hard to find a quiet place to spend some time to listen to God.  Evening prayer is a little easier for me because the kids are in bed although it can get late due to the ultimate time-waster: TV.  However, I am not an early riser and often find myself waking up with the children instead of before them. 

Take Advantage of Unusual Hours

My recent solution to this problem has been to take advantage of unusual hours.  If I am getting pretty good sleep, this solution works pretty well.  For example, I woke up this morning around 5 AM for a drink of water.  Instead of crawling back in bed, I crawled up with my Bible and spent that time with the Lord.  It, of course, was very quiet.  When I finished praying, I went back to bed and woke up with the children as usual.  Then this evening, I went to bed early and then around 11 PM I woke up to pray my rosary (now I am actually writing a blog post for the first time in a long time).

Prayer is so important and however I can manage to do it, I try.  I am not exactly a disciplined person and easily fall into my old habits, but each day I start anew.  For too long my soul was starving and just as my tummy starts to rumble when I'm hungry, so my peace starts to fade when my soul needs prayer. So, until my house is not bursting with children and quiet time is ample, I will continue to take advantage of whatever time I can.

Now that my baby is sleeping through the night I realize what a gift it was to get up with him, not that I want to do that anymore, but those wee hours were a blessing for my prayer life.  If you have a baby, take advantage of the time and the Lord will surely bless you.  We will all have ample time for rest in heaven. :)

4 comments:

  1. Prayer is such a powerful thing. I find it so calming and relaxing to be able to spend this time with God. I ask, Cousin, that you please keep my husband and I, in your prayers. This time apart has been hard on both of us and we have both backslid in our walk with God. He will be home in about a week, and I am so anxious! We are both far more disciplined when we are together.
    Thinking of and praying for you & your family,
    Mikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello just read your post above ... I am feeling exactly what you are at the moment regarding praying... i love the idea of taking advantage of unusual hours something I need to do!! keep praying and blogging xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. The morning hours do seem to work well for some quiet time don't they. It's amazing once I started looking and paying attention to "down" times, I had more time to pray.

    I am a new follower from Catholic Mothers Online. Please stop by and return the favor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog has been quiet. I hope that means that your world is also quiet right now. There's no better condition for Lenten growth and renewal. God Bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!