8.24.2011

No Ordinary Love


Every once in a while I get a stirring inside of me that wants to do something or be something great.  I wish for the fame of an ultra talented writer who sells many books and changes lives or that 
I could be a professional runner who lives for running and wins.  I wish that I had incredible creativity and sold fantastic crafty type things on Etsy or that I was a super good cook and had dinner parties every weekend.  Alas, I am none of these things.  I'm just a normal, ordinary, every day, type of person.  No one looks twice when I walk by.  I live in a normal, ordinary, every day house on a normal, ordinary, every day street.

The other day my plain little house was bustling with the noises of norm (kids quarreling, TV blaring, baby whining) when I stepped outside, as I do every day, to throw out some trash.  The door shut behind me and I was struck by the quietness of the morning.  I could hear some far away barks of a restless dog, the wind rustling tree leaves, but then caught sight of a silently soaring bird.  My eyes followed its flight to the end of our street before I walked back into the clatter of my life.

Since then I've noticed these silent birds in flight almost every where I go.  I am intrigued by how often they soar by without fanfare or demand for attention.  These birds are going about the ordinary business of their days.  Maybe one is gathering twigs for a nest, or another scouting out her prey.  Whatever the task, each bird is doing what it was created to do and for all I know, perfectly content with life.  A normal, ordinary, every day kind of life for a bird.

I know that, at least for now, God is not asking me to be anything extraordinary.  He needs me to be ordinary.  I may not be signing books or on the cover of Runners' World, but my life has meaning to those close to me because of ordinary love. I love because I was first loved by God. It is a love that is linked forever to the sacrifice of the cross. This same Love can flow through me and continue on forever if I am willing to accept this life God has given me.  God's love multiplies and so ordinary love, does in fact, have the amazing capability to change the world.  Now whenever I see a bird soaring through the air, I silently accept again God's love and this life He has given me because God's love is no ordinary love.

6 comments:

  1. I am ordinary. What a wonderful, satisfying thought! Thank you as always, Holly.

    Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing is, that ordinary bird left a mark on your perspective. It awakened your mind to the beauty of being ordinary...
    Who knows when you might be a silent bird that inspires someone from a distance?
    Thank you for sharing...been in serious need for a fresh perspective on "ordinary" life as I often feel the same desperation for something great and forget that it's happening every day and I can choose to be part of it or not. Really appreciate your response to and willingness to share these little moments our Father so lovingly creates for us. To Him be the glory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful word of encouragement. It reminds me of the little boy with the loaves and fishes. I think that's what God wants from us ... just to give Him our ordinary lives for Him to use how He chooses, for His glory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW Holly! WOW! I needed this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate to the longings. You're a beautiful writer; the phrase 'silent birds in flight' spoke to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i recently wrote a post about God's grace and i said "And so we, who are ordinary men and women, become extraordinary as well, because by God's grace, we are sons and daughters of God. How amazing! How wonderful!" and so we may be ordinary in the eyes of the world, but not in God's eyes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!