11.08.2011

"Mommy, I need...."

"Mommy, I'm hungry."
"Mommy, I need a band aide."
"Mommy, I can't find my shoes."
"Mommy, will you read me a story?"
"Mommy, Bubby's diaper needs to be changed."
"Mama, eh, eh, eh, waaaaa (baby talk: I need something)."
"Mommy, I'm hungry."

These are the words of my children I hear every day whether I'm ready to hear them or not.  It doesn't matter what kind of sleep I got last night, if my allergies are acting up, or if I haven't had any time to myself for days.  They still come to me with their needs.

To be completely honest, my responses to these needs are often exasperated, irritated and dramatic.  Not at all like the loving mommy I want to be.  I tend to focus more on my own tiredness and how much I just want to sit down for five minutes together. 

I did have a few quiet minutes the other day and I sat down to read from scripture.  I turned to John Chapter Eight titled, "A Woman Caught in Adultry."  I thought with a title like that, this was going to be a good read.  It turned out, I only read the first few sentences, not because I was interrupted, but because they struck me in such a way that I stopped to reflect.  Here's what I read:
"Then each went to his own house, while Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.  But early in the morning he arrived again in the temple area, and all the people started coming to him, and he sat down and taught them."
It didn't matter that Jesus had probably stayed up all night to pray or that the day before was jam packed with discussions with the pharisees and avoiding arrest.  Jesus still went back to the temple early  in the morning and the people came to him with their needs.  He did not turn them away or avoid them.  In fact, I'm pretty sure he was not exasperated, irritated or dramatic.  He just sat down and taught them because that's what he was there for.  He was there for these people who needed him and because of the eternal love he had for them.

I try to recall this little glimpse into Christ's ministry as I also minister to the needs of my own children.  I am here for these little ones who need me and I am here to love them.  With a slight adjustment in my response to their requests, I hope to be more like Jesus who once said: "No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends" (John 15:13)...and children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!