12.01.2011

Tradition Trip

The first week of Advent is almost over and I'm still not ready for this season or Christmas. I'm in no mood.  I don't feel like being in December.  I don't feel like decorating a tree or singing Christmas songs.  But feelings don't matter. Christmas is upon me.  There's no getting out of this one.

Last Sunday when the girls saw the Advent Wreath at church, they could not wait to get our Christmas bins out.  If it weren't for them, we may not even have our Advent wreath and nativity scene up yet!  I'm glad that in the past I have actually spent time and energy on making this season special.  It was easy to unpack the "Advent Bin" and I actually put the decorations in the same places as last year.

This is part of the beauty of traditions.  It doesn't matter my mood or what's going on in my life, the repetition of tradition is soothing, familiar and easy.  For the same reason, healthy habits are important.  Every morning I take a shower, brush my teeth, brush my hair, etc.  I don't have to remember to do it.  Neither do I have to come up with a new plan every morning for my personal hygiene.

Maybe my New Year's Resolution this year will be to enforce healthy habits and happy traditions because I've been slacking lately with my kids.  It seems healthy habits don't come naturally (at least to my children).  It takes time, planning and implementation.  Only then can we go into to auto habit mode.   

3 comments:

  1. I think this may be my first comment on your blog, but I do understand how hard it is to not be in the mood for Christmas. I think it is good if you have kids still at home, they do help generate interest and their enthusiasm can be catchy. Regardless, you are right, Christmas is still going to come, I do hope it is a season of joy for you and yours!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your blog, it looks very nice, I'm happy to visit again to see your blog because it's very good indeed, thank's for all. Regards, homemade detox drinks really hope to be your friends

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me Christmas begins with darkness and sin
    then a star appears,
    a hope, a promise,
    the concept of redemption
    and God's way,
    a baby born in a manger
    who grows up with the anointing of the Father
    the sacrifice
    the resurrection
    the promised return
    but for now,
    all around,
    the darkness again
    Christmas is the star
    and flooded in its light
    with gratitude
    we give to one another.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!