1.29.2012

Help is on the way


Last night, the sound of the kids, their constant screeches and squabbles, pushed me to the edge of the world.  I wanted to jump into the abyss and give up on it all.  Instead, I did what any mom would do.  I barked at them, slammed dishes around and made tacos.  Actually, I'm sure only I would act like that.  Every other mom would brush off the annoyance, smile sweetly and make a five course meal with lots of vegatables.

It's been a difficult few weeks.  My husband has taken a bunch of overtime shifts and it feels like he's been gone for a month.  As I'm sure any mom reading this knows, it can get pretty lonely and exhausting when your husband is gone for longer than usual.  I'm used to him being gone six nights a week and catching up for a couple hours in the morning and evening.  I bide my time until the end of six days then he's home for a long stretch and I can do things like take a shower without someone crashing through the bathroom door because the green marker lid is missing.

As I gruffed around the kitchen, lonliness and exhaustion wrapped around me like a weighted bib used when getting an x-ray at the dentist, my daughters, without a word from me, began to help.  They got busy with their tasks while I tried not to cry into the taco meat.  They set the table, shredded the cheese, and kept Bubby occupied.  They even cleaned up all the toys around the house.  The floors were clear enough to vacuum...I probably should have taken advantage of that.

Finally, the smell of cilantro and lime brought me to my senses and I could comprehend what was going on.  I slid out of my weighted bib of despair, wiped my eyes and was amazed.  It seemed like a miracle.  My children actually helped prepare dinner and tidy up the house.  I was proud.

The help they gave me did not just happen.  They knew what needed to be done because of practice.  A couple months ago I came up with Job #1 and Job #2.  These jobs are done around meal times and are posted on the refrigerator with a magnet that indicates who does what job that day.  Job #1 is to help cook, set the table and clear the table.  Job #2 is to load the dishwasher, wipe the table and sweep.  I have also been having the girls pick up all the toys each evening and unload the dishwasher in the morning.  Normally I have to harp, nag and stamp my foot to get them to lift a finger.  Then they moan and groan and suddenly have much more important things to do.  However, I've stuck with it (most of the time) and I am finally able to see that consistency might be paying off. 

Praise the Lord and pass the tortillas!

9 comments:

  1. I can completely sympathize with your 'tantrum'!
    Seems I have them on a regular basis.

    Of course having a 3 yr old that skipped the 'terrible two's' only to pick them up in his third year could have something to do with it. 3yrs going on 13, ugh!

    Anyway, you're def not alone in your frustrations. Thank you, Lord, for Dh's coming home from work, and lots and lots of aspirin, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard those are called the "therrible threes!" Thanks for the comment, Tammy.

      Delete
  2. I totally know where you are coming from! It is hard when there is any change in schedule. I hope things get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, April. It seems there may be a light at the end of the tunnel. Writing things out really helps me.

      Delete
  3. This was really very nice. You are blessed indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am blessed. Some days it's easier to recongnize than others. Thanks, Michael.

      Delete
  4. very encouraging....sometimes I feel that way..a lot it seems but its just me..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me tell you, Ellie, it's not just you. It's hard to be a mom, hard to stay at home all day and hard to raise children in general. I think maybe that's why so many moms (and dads) look back on their parenting days and say they would never give up that time. One of the things I'm the most proud of is my college degree because I worked so hard for it...it's got nothin' on parenting!

      Delete
  5. this post was very nice and i love this post.thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!