1.08.2012

Home School Reflections

My daughter and I are seventeen weeks into our home school lessons. The weeks have gone by quickly and smoothly. My expectations of drudgery, fights and boredom have been replaced with the reality of home schooling. It has been some of those things some of the time, but most of the time it is not. For years now, my nine-year-old daughter and I have not gotten along well. Since being her teacher as well as her mom, our relationship has been so much improved that it brings me to tears to think of it. Instead of looks of disdain and slumping to her room, as it had often been in the past, we hug each other and share many jokes.

If I am being honest, it is not my daughter that has changed, but it is the way I react to her. Being with her, thinking about the best way to help her learn a concept, seeing the progress she makes, has forced me to know her and respect her in a way I had not had the wisdom to do before home school began. While I used to walk away from her negative behavior, I now sit with her and calmly coach her through it. I understand better what sets her off and instead of reacting to it, I expect it, take a deep breath and deal with it. In home school, there is no way to avoid those bad days and bad attitudes.

It is a gift to identify myself as mom who schools her children. I look forward to the years to come if my husband is still on board. The other day I told him, "I can only get better at this."

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad it is going well. I homeschooled all four of mine until they went off to college, and it was the best 'job' I ever had. Not that there aren't bad days or disadvantages...but you do understand each other better and get to have more good moments... Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!