9.17.2012

son up to son down


For all of you who smirked and winked at each other when I joyfully announced I was pregnant with a boy, even though at the time I thought I understood what that meant, I understand now.  My daughters were a breeze compared to my son.  The other day I came across one of those cheesy signs that I guess people put up over their couches: "Mothers of little boys work from son up to son down."  Vaguely I could recall reading something like this before I had a boy, but this time the words jumped out at me in such a way you'd think Shakespeare himself had written them or that they were the first words of God ever recorded.  I nodded my head in complete agreement and resisted the urge to buy the sign in flashing neon lights to give as a baby shower gift to the next mom I knew having a boy.

My son, now two and a half, is like one of those tops that you pull a string to make it spin.  His string gets pulled and he off and spinning around our little house, or wherever we are, for the rest of the day.  And, like that same top, when he gets tired, he keeps spinning, he just bumps into walls and gets into accidents and fights with his sisters until I pounce on him and tuck him in bed (not with out a fight).  Often I find myself shaking my head in disbelief at the energy this kid has.  I've watched him wake up.  He doesn't wake up slowly like my girls and everyone else around here.  When he wakes up, his eyes pop open and he's ready.  It's like his feet are already running before they touch the floor. 

Thankfully, he is pretty happy most of the time, so all his non-stop energy is fun to watch and be around.  That, of course, is before I curl up in a little ball and rock myself back and forth.  And for any mom expecting a boy, I'm now one of those moms who will smirk and wink when I find out.  It's just one of those things you can't understand until you experience it I guess.  Oh, and if I come with a large awkward package to your baby shower, you might want to clear a spot to hang it over your couch.


1 comment:

  1. Love this! I didn't know you were still blogging, so I haven't looked in awhile. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!