3.20.2015

7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 12)

I write today to force the habit. It seems my desire to blog again has been blocked by an inability to write. I'm still trying to figure out how exactly I'd like this blog to "feel." Initially, I hoped to make it a little more news focused with some spiritual reflections by yours truly. However, it is not flowing out of me the way I had hoped, so now I'm re-configuring. Again, I ask your patience as I get into the full swing again.

So, without further ado, I return to 7 Quick Takes Friday:






~1~
Yesterday, I took the kids, a couple extra little friends, met up with some other friends, and watched the new Cinderella. I loved it! At times, it was a little over the top, as Disney can be, but overall it was so good. By good, I mean Good. Cinderella was encouraged by her mother to always be kind and courageous, a theme which ran throughout the entire movie. It was refreshing to see the heroine be an example of kindness, courage and forgiveness. There was also a lack of ugliness that we often see these days in fairy tale movies for kids. It was very beautiful, especially for a little girl (at times a bit gaudy for my taste).

Here's a great reflection by Fr. Robert Barron on the movie.

~2~
Today I am supposed to be cleaning the house readying it for some Spring Break company. I look forward to time with some special guests, however, as I look around the house and know this will be their first time to see it, my palms start to sweat. Not really, but over to the right of the corner of my eye, I sense this fuzzy ball of oh-no-I-can't-get-this-done-and-I'm-overwhelmed! Past experience tells me all will be fine and I'll get through it. Right now, I'm powering myself up while I write and allow the kids some down time before we all get to work.  And, yes, they will work too.

~3~
Spring Break is always so anti-climatic because the weather is almost always crappy.  My kids and I have worked so hard this year on school.  We have been diligent and I've been very proud.  Now that a much needed break is here, the weather is yucky.  It would be nice to have a weather reward for all our labor. I imagine the kids will spend a lot of their break watching Amazon Prime while gray skies and drizzle blanket our break (sigh).

~4~
Coming up with seven things to write about is proving difficult. I remember the days my fingers would fly across the key board because I had so much to say. Was that before or after my thyroid was slowed down to a normal speed? I don't remember. No matter, I just need to get back in the habit.

~5~
Lent. I ought to write about Lent. Lent this year has been, well, not what I expected. I started out with great intentions of it being my Holiest Lent Ever! My plans have been derailed by some overly intense and emotional stuff. Quickly and easily I've slipped into my old habits at times.The nice thing is that my family and others around me are focused on prayer, fasting and alms giving, and so I can't be carried off too far in my vices because I'm not alone. Just another reminder that we do not grow in holiness alone. We need each other.  Plus, I can't shake the feeling that God is using my "emotional stuff" to help me along my path to holiness.

~6~
Have you noticed the the links on the left side of this blog? It is another way for me to share things I've read. Facebook used to be my main platform for sharing, but I have social networking anxiety. Too many people from too many different places in my life in one place makes me nervous. I am much more at ease sharing some things on Scattering Agates because only people who want to read what I have to say actually take the time to be here. If you are actually reading this, and you come across anything that seems like something I, or other Scattering Agate readers may enjoy, pass it on via a comment or email (see bottom of this page). A Facebook message will work too if you're my friend there.

~7~
Whew! I made it to number 7. It was not easy, but I did it.  It's good to be back. I look forward to more posts in the future. Thanks to Bridge Builder BFF and others who have kept encouraging me to write again.

Have a great weekend.  I hope to see you here again soon.

Holly

2 comments:

  1. Bridge building BFF.March 20, 2015

    I am the Bridge Building BFF and I support this 7QTS!!! Glad your getting back on the pony. Kelly @ this ain't the lyceum posted something on writers block, might help. Trying to Keep ya in the loop.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it!